July 22, 2011

Disillusioned with Macs

Anyone want to get me a job that doesn't zap me of all energy by 6pm?

In other news, I've been thinking about my laptop a lot recently.  It's a Mac, which I do like and have been using since college.  It was very convenient in college to have because of the fact there was a mac store on campus and if anything got messed up, you could just take it there.  Expensive?  Of course.  But it was a Mac campus practically.  Not to say you were totally out of the loop with a PC laptop, but the probability of having a Mac was way higher than normal.

When I went into the real world I stuck with Macs, getting a Macbook almost 2 years ago.  I thought it would be something that would serve me well.

I'm not here to complain about proprietary software or hardware.  I can live with that as someone who doesn't feel the need to upgrade or adjust everything on a computer to my will.   To be honest, only recently did I not fall into the "OMG it's pretty" trap when it comes to what I care about for my programs.

I'm not here to complain about how it's now popular and there's now nothing unique about Macs.  Who cares.  Apple is a business, they want to get popular and it's not my problem.

I'm complaining about every since case I have that's been easily broken.  These things are not durable!  First it was before they had the magnetic power cord, the ac adapter's connection to the wall was SO sturdy that if a trip incident happened, the whole thing was taken out.  Ugh.  And that is how my first Powerbook's screen got totally ruined. Ivy was then replaced by the recent intel Ivy II, a Macbook which had everything I needed.  Except a flimsy DVD drive that almost stopped working because the opening was soft enough that holding your computer by the DVD drive it would squish.  Who leaves something that malleable in a laptop unprotected?  Anyway, then there was the time I spilt juice on that one and the key didn't work.  Yeah, that one is my fault, so I had no problem replacing it with another Macbook.

But with this one, I can't replace the battery on my own anymore.  Excuse me?

Also, when I got it I realized that the bottom of it was soft thick latex that was screwed into the bottom.  I can dig it.  That is, I can dig it until the heat of the laptop itself starts WARPING THE LATEX CASING.  Now it's practically falling off.  Are you kidding me?  What kind of design flaw is this?

Also, the joint where the screen is has two cracks already.  I haven't dropped this, I've always carried this in a laptop safe case, and other than the occasional bump I've been much better to this laptop than to any other one I've ever used in college.  WHAT THE HELL, APPLE?!?!  Why are you making laptops that obviously should not be transported?  This thing is falling apart and I treated it right!

I really wish I could keep the OS and just ditch the case, but Apple doesn't work like that and I'm not going to become a 1337 haxorz to try it.  I just want a laptop that I can have for more than two years at a time without it BREAKING ITSELF.

If any of you know of any good netbooks I should consider in the future, please let me know.  Because the plan now is the save up to get one, and then have Mystic to put Linux on it.

Because Windows can still suck it.

3 comments:

  1. I am more of a PC guy myself but I must agree, macs are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't believe it's a flaw. Apple is known to overcharge people for parts and repair services, so I feel this is another way for them to make money. Have you checked forums to see if this is a known issue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sneaking suspicion Zombie just never reads an actual post. Anyway, as our friend Kdogg said, go with ASUS, they are Linux friendly and typically come with Windows you can still use for those few programs Linux has no alternative for. They generally allow you to access the RAM and HDD and sometimes the whole motherboard so things can be swapped out or fixed if something does go wrong (which has always bothered me with Macs and their proprietary BS)

    ReplyDelete