January 19, 2009

Gm Writer's Block

As I mentioned before I am running a D&D 3.5 campaign that will end this May.  My PCs are psyched about finishing the game and so am I.  There's only one problem: I'm suffering from writer's block.

It's not the same as regular writer's block but it's just as annoying, especially this one has a deadline (every Friday at 7pm) that I can't avoid.  So what to do?  

I went to RPG.net and asked for some advice on the forums there.  There was a lot of good stuff, and a lot of stuff that applies better to pure newbies.   (I'm not a noob, I've been doing this for about 9 years now off and on.)  One of the better tools is more like a writing exercise, which is why I think it's so useful.  Its called the Adventure Funnel.  If you run a pen and paper RPG check it out.  It's pretty handy and I think I'll be using it to figure out how to get from point A to point B in the game.  It's also good if you know one component for the plot line, but nothing else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment