May 5, 2010

Getting back to RPGs!

Thanks to my new found time I am getting back into the swing of things rpg wise.

First, I finally got around to running an Unknown Armies one shot.  The boyfriend and a couple other friends joined.  I think I could've done better with a compelling plot line, but it was fun.  And crazy.  The crazy is actually kind of necessary.

Second, I started playing through a Nemesis game on Google Wave.  Now that I've sufficiently done a game through it, I will say this--play with people you trust and try to avoid roll programs if you want to try the 1 roll engine.  There is one out there that works, but it's a lot easier to either have the GM or the players roll and give what the roll is.  For example, since you're looking for the best match, if you roll 8 dice and your best match is 3 5's, it's easier to read that as a player that you got a 3x5 than reading out every number and figuring it out.  Also, I just like physically rolling dice a lot better, and honestly that's a preference.

Finally, I'm going to have a chance to try out pathfinder!  I'm really excited to try it out because I loved DnD 3.5 but admitted it needed some work.  So now I can see what a little work can do to it!  The funny thing is I'm slowly realizing that in a group composed of me, the Boyfriend as a GM, and his two friends, I'm the one who knows most about that system.  It's weird to think that the only girl is the one pwning when it comes to rules.  I don't want to say that the guys don't know what they're doing, but I do think the people I played fantasy roleplay with last had a better grasp, so I'm used to higher standards.  Anyway, this is going to be a long campaign, so I'll let you know what my elf illusionist who's personality is based on Severus Snape is like.

I am sooo glad the RPGs are back, there was a little void in my heart, not gonna lie.  But it is now filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment