May 8, 2011

Bad Surprises for the GM.

First of all Happy Mother's day!  I hope you all are giving your mother or special women in your life candy and flowers and hugs.

Second, I was hoping to do a proper recap of my DnD campaign yesterday, but things apparently exploded on me.  I'm not going to get into details, because it's not necessary,  but unbeknownst to me the group of players in my game we're fizzling away due to personal problems with each other, and it came to a head last night in what would've been the beginning of a dungeon crawl.  Well, cave crawl, but the specifics aren't necessary.  It ended with me flabbergasted with a maker in my hand still trying to draw the entrance area of the first level of the cave as people left because they were mad at other people.

I'm not going to blame anyone for it, sometimes things just happen, and I'm not going to rant about upset I was, because I'm sure many of you have been in similar situations and have been similarly frustrated.  But I figured I can use this to make some sort of plea towards some... I'm not sure if game etiquette is the right word for it, but I will go with that for now.

If you have a good GM, one who listens and is genuinely making a game for you to enjoy, let them know if you're not enjoying it for any reason.  Good GM's want to give you a fun challenge.  Good GMs want to have a fun time with everyone.  If that's not happening for some reason on a consistent basis, let them know so the GM can try to rectify it.  Sometimes he can't, or he can't immediately, but  a good GM will try to make sure the game is fun for the players.

I know this isn't always an option, but there a lot of GMs out there, like myself, who put in the work they do to make a fun, enjoyable world who want to know if what he or she is doing isn't working.  It's really disappointing to try to make a fun game and realize no one is having fun out of the blue.

I've seen situations like this that would be rectified by a good conversation with the GM before, mostly in other games though where I wasn't running anything.  This, to be honest, was the first time something had to break up completely mid-game over any kind of issue when I was participating.  And now part of me is kicking myself for not seeing it and trying to fix it sooner, or wishing someone could've told me so I could've helped.

I need to see what to ret-con and where to go from here, and I'm really hoping to get back to the campaign, especially with characters that are engaging in the world I gave them and want to find out more.  I'm hoping to work around my recent move, because I would hate to start out with a new group again.  After a while you get attached to the PCs, no matter how ridiculous they are or how much they may annoy you with finding the chink in your GM plans.  It's actually kind of more fun when that happens.

In the hopes of ending this post on a lighter note, I'm going to share a video that Dan Eastwood was nice enough to share with me earlier this week.  Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Happy mothers day to you too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger just ate my three page comment. Balls.

    To sum up, the GM is not solely responsible for fun at the table. That's everybody's job. Don't beat yourself up about it, and make sure everybody knows that the time to speak up is BEFORE they are fed up, and that everyone should be trying to make sure the whole table is having a good time, not just looking out for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A agree with mindspoon, though in the same way the mood and tone of a workplace is set by a boss, the mood and tone of a game is set by a GM. It's about leadership.

    ReplyDelete